Small Church Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Small Church Community

Although we serve many denominations, we are a community of followers of Jesus, and we seek to support each other in fulfilling the Great Commission.

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  Latest imagesLatest images  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

March 2024 Thread

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Admin
Admin

March 2024 Thread Empty
PostSubject: March 2024 Thread   March 2024 Thread EmptyFri Mar 01, 2024 9:27 am

Good morning, small church leaders! Spring is just around the corner, unless you live in the Rockies. And the Sierra Nevada range, too, if you can believe the forecast of 10' of snow for this weekend. Anybody got a church/extreme weather story out there? Here's a warm-up:

In southern California, where we used to live, we woke up early on a Sunday morning that was still dark. The windows were open a bit and the blinds were making a lot of noise. As I got up to close the windows, I was alarmed to see a wildfire. Probably 20 miles away on low mountains, a ribbon of flame stretched left and right for several miles. And the wind was pushing it in our direction. My town was the last easterly one in the San Diego area, before the countryside turned to sagebrush. I drove to our small church, where the property was covered with that vegetation.

Other members showed up and we became "hot shots" with our shovels, hoes and rakes, trying to clear fuel away from the church. After a few hours, a fire department official drove up and told us to evacuate, saying that they couldn't save our church. We left...and prayed...and fire swept through our area. Right above the church was the home of our former pastor. The fire went around his house and bypassed the church as well. How bad was the fire? Over the next couple of days, the fire destroyed over 1000 homes. A TV news crew came by and interviewed our pastor. Twenty-five years later, I still keep in touch with some in that congregation. God is still blessing them.
Back to top Go down
https://smallchurchcommunity.forumotion.com
Admin
Admin

March 2024 Thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: March 2024 Thread   March 2024 Thread EmptyFri Mar 01, 2024 9:29 pm

Went to a Christian school banquet tonight, which featured Kevin Sorbo as the main speaker. It's not often when you feel like kin folk to a Hollywood actor. He's a good man who isn't shy about fighting evil. If everybody stood up against it, we'd return to being a Christian nation again.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin

March 2024 Thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: March 2024 Thread   March 2024 Thread EmptyMon Mar 04, 2024 9:57 am

I've been taking care of my sister-in-law's dogs while she has been away. Her son had been on life support and passed away this morning. Many years ago, I was sitting in the church service when he went forward to give his heart to the Lord. But going into his later teen years, he backslid in a big way. Chose a bad lifestyle, and added drugs on top of it. He had cut off all contact with the family for the last 15 years.

Unknown to his Mom, he had "friended" her on Facebook last month. While on life support, he gained consciousness twice and ended up with tears in his eyes. The first time was when he saw his Mom, and the second was when told that Jesus loves him. Over the years, I've tried to establish contact, but never knew if my notes were getting through.

But maybe our prayers were. Maybe he knew the end was coming and he was starting to set things right. Maybe he asked God for forgiveness. One day we'll find out.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin

March 2024 Thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: March 2024 Thread   March 2024 Thread EmptyWed Mar 06, 2024 8:11 am

We oftentimes hear from the pulpit, or from our friends at church, about the hills and valleys of life. And it's true. We do have highs and lows as we go through our time here on earth. Some spend a lot of time and effort trying to stay on mountaintops, but that just isn't practical. Life happens. The key is in finding where God wants you to be, and staying in that lane. If you can do that, the valleys don't seem so low.

As I get older and more tired of being in this world, I've come to see it in a different plane. Instead of ups and downs, it seems more like left and right. Because I do work hard at staying in my lane, my movement seems more like a pendulum, as my personal ministry swings between duty and desire. For example, I might go to a children's class with an overflowing desire. And by the time the kids are done with me, I may have nothing left but duty. I don't make any apologies or ask God for forgiveness. That's just the way it is, and I think He understands.

But it's important to hang on to the pendulum, alternating between desire and duty. He will give us strength. Don't let go and fall into the pit.

Luke 17:10
Back to top Go down
ccm2361

March 2024 Thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: March 2024 Thread   March 2024 Thread EmptyFri Mar 08, 2024 8:03 pm

Amen, I feel like I have been living in a valley for a good churnk of the last 4 years. So that means I am due to get some mountaintop time soon! (a fellow can hope anyway  Smile )
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin

March 2024 Thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: March 2024 Thread   March 2024 Thread EmptyWed Mar 13, 2024 12:12 pm

The school where I used to teach at has asked me to share at an upcoming chapel, date unknown. I've done a few in the past for them. I think I have a title for my message: It's Howdy Duty Time. (Okay, am I the only one here who remembers Howdy Doody?) I might start with a video of the show's opening song, asking them to join in. While they're trying to figure out what's going on, I'll tell them about Ecc 12:13, Acts 23:1 and my favorite "duty" verse, Luke 17:10.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin

March 2024 Thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: March 2024 Thread   March 2024 Thread EmptyMon Mar 18, 2024 7:42 pm

If you're a Dr. Del Tackett fan, and a drive to Billings, Montana doesn't faze you...block out Nov 8-9 on your calendar. He will be speaking Friday night and Saturday morning. You'll see some details on www.bigskyworldview.org, and more will be added as the day nears. The title of his presentation is "The Perfect Storm: Understanding Our Times and the Biblical Path Forward."
Back to top Go down
ccm2361

March 2024 Thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: March 2024 Thread   March 2024 Thread EmptyMon Mar 25, 2024 4:34 pm

After a brief return to winter, spring is back in Michigan cheers
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin

March 2024 Thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: March 2024 Thread   March 2024 Thread EmptySat Mar 30, 2024 12:55 pm

Here's an early "He Is Risen!" to all of you out there. Blessings to your churches as you celebrate Resurrection Day.

Meanwhile, the White House has declared that tomorrow is "Transgender Visibility Day." And for their annual Easter egg roll on the lawn, they have invited kids to enter the egg-decorating contest. BUT, absolutely no religious themes can be on the eggs.

What is the matter with those people? Calling them 'politicians' doesn't answer the question. I fear that it goes much deeper than that.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

March 2024 Thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: March 2024 Thread   March 2024 Thread Empty

Back to top Go down

March 2024 Thread
Page 1 of 1