Small Church Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Small Church Community

Although we serve many denominations, we are a community of followers of Jesus, and we seek to support each other in fulfilling the Great Commission.

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  Latest imagesLatest images  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Trust, But Verify

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Admin
Admin

Trust, But Verify Empty
PostSubject: Trust, But Verify   Trust, But Verify EmptyWed Feb 28, 2024 1:38 pm

As society continues to slide downward, there's no doubt that churches are less safe than they used to be. In fact, violent attacks on US churches have doubled in the last 3 years. There are a multitude of websites and organizations that help churches to evaluate their security posture. My church did it in-house, as we have a couple of guys with experience in these areas. What did we end up doing?

- Armored our glass doors and some windows with a special 3M film. Demonstration videos show a suspect trying to shoot his way through a mostly glass door that featured the film. Minutes go by before he is able to push his way through. Plenty of time to mount a defensive response. We went through the expense, and it paid off a couple of years ago when someone tried to break in. This 3M is expensive and requires a certified installer. Many glass companies now have cheaper alternatives.
- Installed security cameras. These are very affordable, and can serve as a deterrence.
- Started a Sheepdog Team. First, study your state's laws to see if there are any limitations on what you can do. Once the service is well under way, lock the front doors and leave an armed person in the foyer. He can let latecomers in. He has a 2-way radio and his partner in the sanctuary wears an ear bud. Don't be too "militant" about training requirements, as it might drive people off the team.
- General Safety. Make a (long) list of all the fire extinguishers, emergency exit lights, carbon monoxide alarms, sprinkler systems, boilers, AEDs, etc. Make a schedule so everything gets checked on time. (Impress the Fire Marshall when he comes to inspect.)
Back to top Go down
https://smallchurchcommunity.forumotion.com
ccm2361

Trust, But Verify Empty
PostSubject: Re: Trust, But Verify   Trust, But Verify EmptyThu Feb 29, 2024 8:47 am

Amen,
this is a subject near & dear to my heart. I fell security is very important in today's climate. Alas, my church does not share my feelings.
The only active security measure we have is locking the doors once service starts. Most of our congregation are seniors & any mention of guns in church results in much pearl clutching.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin

Trust, But Verify Empty
PostSubject: Re: Trust, But Verify   Trust, But Verify EmptySat Mar 02, 2024 6:24 pm

ccm2361 wrote:
Amen,
this is a subject near & dear to my heart. I fell security is very important in today's climate. Alas, my church does not share my feelings.
The only active security measure we have is locking the doors once service starts. Most of our congregation are seniors & any mention of guns in church results in much pearl clutching.

Can the ladies be trained to do something with the pearl necklaces? Kinda like flexible nunchucks or something? Very Happy
Back to top Go down
https://smallchurchcommunity.forumotion.com
Sponsored content

Trust, But Verify Empty
PostSubject: Re: Trust, But Verify   Trust, But Verify Empty

Back to top Go down

Trust, But Verify
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Small Church Community :: MINISTRY :: Safety and Security-
Jump to: