Small Church Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Small Church Community

Although we serve many denominations, we are a community of followers of Jesus, and we seek to support each other in fulfilling the Great Commission.

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  Latest imagesLatest images  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

I Relieve You, Sir

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Admin
Admin

I Relieve You, Sir Empty
PostSubject: I Relieve You, Sir   I Relieve You, Sir EmptyTue Mar 05, 2024 12:04 pm

Back in my Navy days, each ship had a small group of seasoned and trusted officers who took turns standing a 4-hour watch on the Bridge. In the absence of the commanding officer, this Officer of the Deck (OOD) was responsible for everything that was going on. When the responsibility was passed at the end of the shift, the oncoming officer would say, "I relieve you, sir." We also had a junior officer under our wing, who we would constantly train for two years. At the end of that period, the junior officer would be qualified to become a new OOD, replacing the one that transferred off the ship. Year after year, the ship would continue to be able to fulfill its mission.

Sea story over. Transfer those thoughts to the position of a church deacon. What if a deacon couldn't transition off the leadership team until a relief was trained to take over? Hmmm, sounds difficult. But shouldn't that be the proper attitude? Sometimes in a small church, there's a shortage of "qualified" younger deacon candidates. It's a problem in search of a solution.

In the previous post, I mentioned that my church had lost a generation of future leaders. So, how do we fix something like that? Waiting until the month before a new deacon is needed doesn't sound like an attractive option.
- How do we identify potential candidates?
- How do we recruit candidates?
- Should candidates even know that they're being considered?
Back to top Go down
https://smallchurchcommunity.forumotion.com
ccm2361

I Relieve You, Sir Empty
PostSubject: Re: I Relieve You, Sir   I Relieve You, Sir EmptyFri Mar 08, 2024 7:59 pm

Admin wrote:

- How do we identify potential candidates?
- How do we recruit candidates?
- Should candidates even know that they're being considered?

good questions.
#1 Get to know your people & what thier -which is fairly easy in a small church.
#2 perhaps sound out select people that you indentified in step 1, inform them of the upcoming need & see if they are willing to be condsidered. BUT that leaves the risk of hard feelings if they are not selected.
#3 That is tough. Ordinarily I would say no, but its hard to find out if people are willing, without letting them know they ar ebeing considered.

Question for you:
Are Deacons elected of appointed in your church?
Back to top Go down

I Relieve You, Sir
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Small Church Community :: LEADERS :: Deacons and Elders-
Jump to: